Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pru, it's kicking off!

Firstly, here's the video to go with the title...


As a nerd, I can be irritating. I often play Devil's Advocate when I read something that I think is unfair. So when I felt that Dr Harris was being unfair to Olive Oil, I just had to leave the following two-part comment (the second part was in reply to somebody else's comment).

"Hi.
My Aldi EVOO has a pufa content of only 6.6%. That's a lower percentage than lard (from grain-fed pigs). I use a "splash" (~10ml) for cooking (0.66g of pufas).
Nige.
P.S. Can you please move "Log in" to the top. I keep forgetting where it is!
P.P.S. RE Ketogenic Diets for Epilepsy, Dementia etc: Branched chain amino acids (e.g. Whey protein) are a good adjunct. See Branched chain amino acids as adjunctive therapy to ketogenic diet in epilepsy: pilot study and hypothesis."

Dr Harris replied...

"Hi NIgel
I am not sure what your point is. I don't advocate lard either so why compare your EVOO to it?
Even if it is really "only" 7% it is unopposed linoleic acid and heavier in unsaturated MUFA than animal fats, which have more SFA. And of course Olive Oil CAN be much higher than this in n-6, up to 20%.
And why not compare it to pastured butter which is 2% n-6 and 2% n-3 in perfect balance, and is cheaper on a caloric basis?
Olive oil is still a TemPO in my world - more n-6 than necessary, no useful n-3 and not enough LCSFA.
But obviously you can eat whatever you want. It sounds like you are using it as a condiment anyway. My point is don't make a staple or cook with it and I stand by that."

Unfortunately, when I posted my above comment, it ended up in the wrong blog post due to the site freezing and me refreshing the page. I requested that my comment be moved, as the second part of it was in reply to a comment elsewhere. Request denied.

As I mentioned in my nerd post, body language = Double-Dutch. There was a subtle hint above. I completely missed it! I emailed Dr Harris.
"Hi.

My reply didn’t have a point – I just felt like mentioning that the EVOO that I buy isn’t particularly high in n-6. I always thought that OO was ~10% pufas. The reply was supposed to be to There is No Such Thing as a Macronutrient Part I – Fats as it contained a link about BCAAs enhancing ketosis. Your site froze and when I refreshed the page, I didn’t notice that the url in the address bar had changed.

Now that you have changed your views on ketosis, carbs etc, are you going to update some of your old blog posts?

Cheers, Nige."

The reply that I received was rather unexpected and can be seen HERE. What the **** just happened? I emailed back.

"Hi Kurt,

Don’t believe me, then. Delete my reply on your blog if it’s that annoying to you. I have my style and you have yours.

You obviously haven’t read my blog post about GCBC where I wrote that I agree with 99% of what Gary has written, but it’s the 1% that I disagree with that I’m arguing about because it means that calories do count.

Yes, I update my old blog posts with updated information when I learn new stuff. Blogs aren’t books.

There have been plenty of insults slung from the other side on Gary’s blog. If you think that my posts show a sneering disrespect for Gary then that’s your problem, not mine. I’m glad to have been of help in something.

Nigel Kinbrum"

As I respect Dr Harris, I am extending an Olive branch (Damn! Why does it have to be a freakin' Olive branch?). Unfortunately I don't drink beer, so I'll raise a virtual glass of Californian Red instead. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment