Ads 468x60px

Saturday, November 4, 2006

Be Cool!

No i'm not talking about that movie :)

A study was published just the other day on mice that were engineered to have a lower body temperature than normal, but they could eat all they wanted during their lives. I've always wondered if temperature had anything to do with Calorie Restrictions life extension, now this research shows that maybe yes, lower body temperature does 'contribute' to CR's magic (and no famines needed). It seems CR is working at many different levels to retard disease and aging. It's good to see that lower temperature = longer median lifespan because almost all my fathers side of the family, including my father, have got body temperatures almost as low as me... And I know this is only anecdotal, but they all look at least 10-15 years younger than their age (including health biomarkers).

Reduced body temperature will have a high probability of having an effect to lifespan in humans also, as shown in the baltimore study, where the data was analyzed and one of the factors in reaching old age were having a lower body temperature than average [1]. So this study isn't the first to suggest that warm blooded animals would have an increase in longevity from reducing temperature.

After seeing this study I thought that I should see how low my temperature does actually get in the mornings, especially when I increase my overnight fasting time. I woke up around 8:30 this morning and took my temperature right away, it was 34.85 degrees celsius (94.73 degrees Fahrenheit). Oh crap! I didn't expect it to go that low... obviously I don't really want it extremely low because I do want to wake up in the morning! :) but my thermometer is around .4 lower than a temperature reading I got at doctors one time, so we can say my temp was around 35.2 degrees Celsius (which is still very low). I just bought a 'Braun 4520 Thermoscan Ear Thermometer' which is the one my doctors use. As temperature naturally increases throughout the day [2], I think for three days I will track it every hour and then see my peak temperature and lowest. Although I won't be tracking during the night.

[1] Scientists unravel secrets of long life
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2167316.stm

[2] Body Temperature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1911_Animal_heat.png

BBC NEWS
AmericasAfricaEuropeMiddle EastSouth AsiaAsia Pacific

No comments:

Post a Comment