Ads 468x60px

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Both Sides Now: Nerds!

Firstly, here's the song "Both Sides Now" sung by Judy Collins in 1967.


"I've looked at x from both sides now, from up and down and still somehow, it's x's illusions I recall. I really don't know x at all."

Basically, anything can be looked at in a positive or negative way. Which brings me to the subject of nerds. Please note: The following may be a little tongue-in-cheek.

I'm a nerd. Did you notice?

Nerds: The good
1) We're single-minded & very focused. If you want something to work, get a nerd to do it. Just about every gizmo on this planet was invented, designed or developed by nerds.

2) We don't crave a partner's attention. We're not really people-people. Gizmos, on the other hand.....

3) Errrm.....

Nerds: The not-so-good
1) We're single-minded & very focused. If you want more than one thing done at a time, don't get a nerd to do it. A nerd trying to multi-task can result in unintentional hilarity. Do not talk to us when we're concentrating on something!

2) We can be socially inept. Body language=Double-Dutch. If I button-hole you in a fascinating (to me) conversation, I won't notice any of your subtle signs that you want to escape. The best way to interrupt a nerd is to hold up your index finger and say "Interrupt Request". If you're lucky, the nerd will say "Interrupt Request Acknowledged" and allow you to get a word in. This of course doesn't work for telephone conversations. Shouting "Stop talking while I'm interrupting you!" very loudly is the only option. We also "teach granny how to suck eggs" by stating the bleedin' obvious - just in case you didn't get it the first time.

3) We can be a bit obsessive. From Duty Calls:-


Finally, if you think that I'm really nerdy, see "The big bang theory" on YouTube. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment