Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Radio Recap

So as many of you know, I was a guest host on "Ask Dr. Fritz" last Friday on WWRL 1600 AM here in NYC. There's something about late nights on the radio that is so quintessential New York to me. I don't know if it's a weird memory from childhood, but I just love listening to the chatter between callers and hosts as the city starts to unwind after a long day. It was amazing to be a part of it and actually be the person on the other end, taking the calls and dishing out my own advice.


Radio mics are big and scary and awesome.


Before I even did the show, I knew I was hooked on radio.  Maybe it's the fact that I don't have to care what I look like, there's no hair, no makeup (well, some), but it's really just about a connection with the listeners. Everything about recording a radio show - especially a live one - excites me. The headphones, the countdowns, the big microphones, the heart-pounding intro music. I'm getting excited just thinking about it! (Breathe, Cara...)
So we headed down to the station on Friday night at about 9:30 to prepare for the 11 pm live broadcast. Dr. Fritz had me on as a guest host, along with my friend/TV host Kasheik Paisley (who is awesome, by the way).

The station was much larger than I had imagined, taking up pretty much the entire floor. We were greeted by the show producer who was fabulous and made us all feel super comfortable. Dr. Fritz, Kasheik and I went over the topic, which was relationships, and discussed the possible calls and questions we might get during the broadcast. (I've always wanted to say, Caller, are you there? Larry King style. Haven't you?)


Caller, are you there?


The show kicked off right at 11 pm with a couple commercials and then our intros. I honestly did not have a stitch of nervousness and that is SO unlike me, queen of anxiety, but maybe the bubbles helped. I did have a sip or two before we went on air, because why not? Dr. Fritz didn't drink, as he was on the job as the resident doctor in the house, but I gulped down a few sips and did some tweeting and Facebooking (and makeup application) before heading into the studio.


Tweeting away (aka begging people to listen in)


We jumped right into the topic, which was the importance of having a relationship with yourself before having one with someone else, and the calls started to flood in. We chatted with some interesting people, all who were really grateful to be on the show and thanked us for our advice, which was really cool. I really can't believe how quickly the hour flew by. I was totally ready to stay on the air for another hour and keep chatting with people. (And grab another bottle of bubbly).

The show was a total hit and it looks like I will be joining Dr. Fritz again very soon for another episode about relationships. So my question to you is, what do you want to talk about? Post your thoughts in the comments box below and let me know what topics you'd like to hear covered. I will keep everyone posted on my next appearance.

Until then, signing off....

No comments:

Post a Comment