Ads 468x60px

Monday, June 1, 2009

In the garden

Another Garden update. I have transplated almost all the plants in their best places (after observing the sun and shadows during different times). Everything seem fine, no transplant shock or any signs of the plant not taking well. The tomatoes are now at the side of my house, 3 of them planted near the trellis to the left and 1 on the right side near the green house and I believe these are getting 11 hours sun at the moment, and one in the garden box because it was the only spot that receieved 7+ hours of sun, the rest of the time its shaded by the palm trees we have. The cherry tomato plants below look smaller than they were but I was told to plant them further down for best results, even if it coveres some of the leaves. Strawberry plants to the left, still small... I wish I had started this one earlier but next year I'll make sure I do. I have to get containers for some other strawberry plants. I have 7 of them this year, maybe more next year from the runners.







The broccoli is doing well now, but I might have a problem with crowding. I don't think the roots are that deep with these plants so I might try moving one of them so they're spaced out a bit. I think that wont hur the plant, or will it?







My 2nd garden box is coming along now, the spinach this time hasn't really been touched because we put a netting over the top with has very small holes in, slugs proably wont fit through the holes. We also have beer trap and found quite a few dead slugs by the tomato trees (in the plastic cups) and by the mint. The cover can't go over the whole box because of the tomato plant, but it it covers most of it at least, and its only a short term solution. I'm looking at getting some sort of copper tape or something. Apparently that works by shocking the slugs.





There did look there were more spinach in the box, it really grew a lot within a short space of time. So I harvested some spinach for a smoothie and threw away the really damaged leaves as I didn't really feel like eating them. They were quite destroyed and had some slug slime over them or something lol. With the slug issue sorted (I think), hopefully my next harvest of the plants I took leaves from will be good. The carrots are doing well, I seem to have managed to get away with sowing the seeds in March is I recall correctly, they did survive, and the leaves above the carrots are growing taller all thet time. Within 2 weeks I might see if I can feel around in the earth to see if I have some decent size carrots to eat. Something made me laugh last night when I read a post on "when you know you should harvest carrots", and one of the first answers was "when your local rabbits pays your garden a visit" lol. What was funny about that was there was a rabbit that we been trying to catch in my garden for the last couple days, it's a small black rabbit from next door which must have escaped and gone under the fence. Anyway, rabbit problem sorted :)



Some new plants below such as african blue basil near the frence, the pot on the left of that is a strawberry plant, and to the right of the basil is my mint plant which is now recovering very well and looking healthier. To the rightof that near the palm trees there is a plant which I don't know what it is, I just thought i'd save it from my aunte who doesn't want the thing.







All together not so bad for my first attempt, still more things to do that I didn't get around to. I didn't manage to get the apple trees because of lack of work recently, but thats okay. I thought I best stick to a small variety this year and then next year I'll think about growing much more variety of foods. I know I'll be far more prepared early next year.



Anyway thats all for now. Maybe this year, but definitely next year I hope to get a good video camera so I can talk on video and can show the garden, answer any questions, give me opinions of things etc etc... should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment