Ads 468x60px

Monday, June 1, 2009

What I ate today

I haven't really done an update on what exactly I eat these days. So I thought I'd give you an idea of just a snap shot of one day.

I wake up and have my Whey Protein drink with my vitamins and minerals and a bit of fish oil, and have a handful of walnuts (15-20g). I then consume my breakfast which is a 'Green Smoothie'. Ingredients today was simple; 160g of baby spinach, 170g of ripe mango (delicious and one of my faves at the moment!), 1 red apple, a ripe banana, 80g of blueberries. The mango really come through and was the most dominant taste and it made it have a lush creamy texture, the blueberries went in last because they were frozen and it makes the drink nice and cold (you can just use ice though). I love this one because its not too complicated, very quick, it takes literally 5 minutes or less! With a good blender it comes out good, also if someone is going to copy this make sure you add about 200-300ml water otherwise you burn out your blender or something. Decrease or increase water of the drink to how you like it. Honestly, its a real treat every morning. Everytime I make this one my nephew loves to consume loads of it. So thats pretty much most of the fruit calories for the day. My breakfast can sometimes come to about 600 k/cal so this is upto almost 1/3rd of my total calorie intake for the day.

At around 12-1pm I usually have something small, so today I just cut up 150g of cherry tomatoes, microwaved them, spread across very lightly toasted wholemeal bread with 5ml olive oil added. Then just put a bit of garlic on and tomato sauce (low sugar and salt one).

About 5pm I then ate Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, small sweet potato, olive oil, and a fat free yeo organic strawberry yogurt, followed by another protein shake.

In the evening I had some almonds, a brazil nut, with red currants, rasberries, blackberries, blackcurrants (del monte frozen fruit). I had a cup of these. I then ate about 2 squares of lindt 70% dark chocolate with some mint and green tea.

Usually I have at minimum 200g of green leafy vegetables raw, and they haven't had my favourite Kale in the supermarket lately so just used spinach in my smoothies for just under a week. It does pack a fair bit of nutrition in there but probably not the kind of nutritional quality of kale, which has more easily absorbable calcium and is another leafy green that is very high in lutein (which is great for skin, see post below). I also had about 5 cups of green tea today in between meals.

Was short on Zinc (always have to supplement this to get good ratio of of zinc and copper). I was a bit short on calcium today because of no kale but still approached around 800mg without supp, also I have to supplement B12 which is in my Essential mix (i've been vegetarian since Oct 2007). Tiny bit short on Niacin but was covered on supplement. Have a couple hundred calories left but will leave that for today, time to sleep soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment