Ads 468x60px

Monday, February 21, 2011

The usual suspects.

On Facebook, on message boards and face to face, I keep seeing and hearing:-

1) I'm down in the Winter/I keep getting infections/I have allergies/I have aches & pains.

2) I'm up & down a lot.

3) I'm down/anxious/I can't sleep/I get restless legs/cramps/menstrual cramps/muscle spasms/migraines.

4) I've got inflamed or painful joints/skin/guts/lungs/whatever.

5) Ooh! It makes me so mad!

1) Vitamin D insufficiency/deficiency is widespread by the end of Winter (~90% of people have serum 25(OH)D less than 75nmol/L or 30ng/mL) due to insufficient sun exposure during the Summer. A safe & effective dose is 50iu of Vitamin D3/kg body weight/day. See Vitamin D.

2) Modern diets are lacking in long-chain omega-3 fatty acids (EPA & DHA), as many people don't eat any/enough oily fish. Tinned tuna is not an oily fish! See Omega-3 fatty acids and major depression: A primer for the mental health professional. Women of reproductive age can take flaxseed oil, if they can't/won't eat oily fish or take fish oil capsules. Women not of reproductive age & men need to supplement with vegan DHA in addition to flaxseed oil, if they can't/won't eat oily fish or take fish oil capsules.

3) Diets low in greens are low in magnesium. Magnesium deficiency can cause all of the above symptoms. Epsom Salts are a very cheap source of Magnesium. 4g/day of Epsom Salts provides 400mg/day of Magnesium. See Magnesium and the Brain: The Original Chill Pill and Magnesium: Just as important as Calcium.

4) Vitamin D is anti-inflammatory. Fish oil is anti-inflammatory.

5) Vitamin D raises your mood. Fish oil keeps it stable. Magnesium chills you out.


Here's a picture to go with the title.


And finally...
I am so glad that I don't work with David Thorne.

No comments:

Post a Comment