Ads 468x60px

Thursday, January 25, 2007

A difficult experiment

I'm still experimenting with removing certain foods out of my diet, although it is very difficult to guage the success of removing a food on my nasal symptoms. Removing low fat yogurt never did anything, I never noticed any change at all. When I started to cut back on eating apples I noticed a subtle improvement, but was good enough to justify me removing them from my diet. Something triggered this problem early on in 2005, and I think it may have been stress related. So I've got the problem now and I'll try to learn to deal with it. I used to have really bad hay fever symptoms during the summer for many years during high school. I started Calorie Restriction and the symptoms never came back again so I thought it was the end of allergies, forever!

Not so, stress is bad for you so you must do what you can to be a CRer with limited amounts of daily stress to have the best benefits of doing CR.

The good news is that Medicine are making great strides in developing effective treatment for allergies, and they believe within 2 years hay fever will be 'cured' and food allergies within 5-10 years. There are many trials going on using different methods and the success rate is 100% for quite a few of the trials. So for those of us that still have some minor allergy problem, there might be an end to it real soon!

Me and the doc agreed that it could be food related with me, but I'm on the waiting list to see an ENT doctor anyway, to check that there is nothing going on in my nose other than just some inflammation.

So I'll have to keep steaming my veggies, avoid some raw fruit, and use my nasonex... and continue trying to figure which foods may worsen symptoms. So far I've been able to stop nasal bleeding by cutting out apples. Apples are the fruit that people with hay fever are most allergic to, and symptoms can manifest as mouth sores, itchy throat, rhinitis and a bunch of other symptoms.

I've spoken to my doctor about getting an allergy test done, but he thinks there is no point. Why? Because he says that I'm probably going to be allergic to so many foods that it may just put me off eating most things, or put me in a hopeless situation.

It reminds me a little like something that was said to my sister a while back, although in my case it would be less serious, for her I feel it is something she has to know as soon as possible.

One of the doctors in the place I go to (not my one) said to my sister "don't get tested for lupus because you'll just keep thinking about it and get worried" - My mother has lupus. So my sister has never been tested, isn't that crazy!? I guess I am lucky that this is only a minor nuisance, rather than something more serious. A lot of others have far worse problems to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment