Ads 468x60px

Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday MOETivation: Turning Gym Time into Champagne Time

I often write about my love/hate relationship with working out. From my adventures in pole dancing to my experiences Spinning to the 80's, I'm always looking for a way to enjoy (read: tolerate) the gym. I am not athletic nor am I skinny, so I need to find creative ways to balance my passion for Parmesan and still be able to zip up my jeans. And for the record, that passion is border line obsession...

My trips to the gym are usually fueled by massive amounts of Starbucks and major pep talks to myself. It takes a village to get me going. Outfit changes, Rocky soundtracks, you name it, I've tried it. I have been known to stare in the mirror and slap my own thighs just to watch them jiggle. Even that doesn't work at times.

But a few weeks ago I got to thinking, so much about life is mind over matter. We really do control the way we see things. That I am a firm believer in. Focusing on the positive attracts more positive, and we are in total control of our own happiness. So why should the way I view working out be any different? Couldn't I just brainwash myself into loving exercise?

I decided I was going to give it a shot.




I vowed to convince myself that going to the gym was like going to the spa. Now don't go rolling your eyes -- I am not insinuating workouts shouldn't be work. The gym should absolutely be a time where you step outside of your comfort zone and push yourself. You can't just go sit in the steam room and sip on a bottle of Moet with a straw and eat chewy chocolate chip cookies (but Jesus Christ that does sound amazing).

Gym time was going to be MY time. "Champagne time", as I like to call it. The precious moments where it's all about you. You don't have to look at your phone, there's nobody asking you for anything, no deadlines and no judgement. It's completely self-indulgent and it's critical to your well-being. The gym was no longer a chore for me, it was my special hour that would produce nothing but good. That time would make me stronger, happier and healthier.

So far, so good. I've been averaging about 4 workouts a week, and I haven't set the gym on fire nor have I broken my own legs to avoid going, so that's a plus! I'm boxing now and it's been amazing. There's nothing like finding a workout you love, and I honestly think that's half the battle.

My Monday MOET-ivation for you this week is to change the way you view exercise and truly think of it as your Champagne time. Find something you enjoy and do it. Treat that time as sacred. You might surprise yourself with how easy it is.

Cheers!
Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment