Ads 468x60px

Monday, March 12, 2007

Omega 3 , Chocolate and Red Wine

Two stories today in the news

Chocolate can keep cancer, heart disease and strokes at bay

Supplement 'boosts' brain power

First I will give you a quick story of something I noticed when I began taking omega 3 a few years ago.

I'm not sure beneficial changes are ONLY seen in children... When I started to take Omega 3 (cod liver oil / Fish oil) a few years ago I noticed a dramatic improvement in my ability to remember things and concentrate. I went from not reading a full book to reading 50+ books in one summer. I hated school and then loved it. My 'desire' to learn increased and everything seemed more interesting while things like football seemed much less interesting, watching it became boring and watching science documentary became interesting!. My confidence also improved a lot. I also noticed the supplement took around 3 months for it to really kick in. I think this was the point when my curiosity really began. Family also noticed the difference after I had started to take this supplement.

Now on the chocolate. What I really don't like is the word "cheating". People use the term when they have a snack on a 'diet' that says not to eat this kind of food. It seems silly in my opinion. There are just good choices and bad choices, and you should never feel guilty from indulging in having some chocolate or your favourite treat. Sure you have to think about calories and getting nutrition first but there is usually room just to have things in extreme moderation. I typically enjoy 1 square of Lindt Dark chocolate 85% everyday.



Remember those little christmas calander things with the doors you opened for each day? Its like that for me. I enjoy this little treat and it helps. Anything that helps you accomplish your CR is good. As long as your diet is well balanced with many foods that will provide all essential nutrients.

Some people may enjoy the daily glass of Red Wine, which I question whether there will be any benefit whatsoever for CRers who already have really low disease risk. As the amount of resveratrol in Red Wine will probably not act via increasing SIRT1 (longevity gene) and being a CR mimmetic as a much higher dose is needed.



So because of the VERY LOW risk of things like diabetes, heart disease and a big reduction in the risk of cancer while doing CR I am not yet convinced in why drinking red wine would be additive, same goes for chocolate... in fact, MR reckons chocolate has some dark sides to it.

So we should all have our own comfort food and NOT feel guilty in anyway when we consume them in moderation. If you are going to enjoy a treat at least try to make it a somewhat healthy one. It really does't hurt to enjoy it on a daily basis either if it only comes to around 50-100k/cal.

And if you screwed up on CR for one day, chill, you have years to refine your diet so just move on and in time you will feel in more control and comfortable. And if you need to you can always average your calories out over the week.

Now i'm off to have a bit of dark chocolate and green tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment