Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Gratitude vs. Contentment: How to Stay Thankful {and Hungry}





The practice of gratitude has changed my life. Whenever I find myself spiraling into one of my internal brat-a-thons, I quickly snap myself out of it by reminding myself of all the things I'm thankful for. I wake up each morning with a grateful heart, and I truly take nothing for granted. 

But I am also insatiable. This means I am on a constant mission to improve my life, have new experiences, and settle for nothing less than what my soul craves. It means I'm not satisfied with many things because I know they can be better. 

That dichotomy has raised a serious question for me: how do we separate gratitude from contentment? 

I've struggled with this inner battle for a while now. And here's what I've come up with: it's a gentle balance. For every thing I want to strive for, I remind myself of one thing I'm grateful for. For example: I'd love to live and work around the world. I see myself spending a few months in London, a few months in Paris, and a few months here in New York, running my business globally. I consume myself with this vision often because I am the queen of manifesting, and also because it's really damn fun to imagine. It also takes careful planning. I'm not there yet, but I will be. When I think about my vision, I don't curse my little apartment in New York or the full-time job I'm still in (still...in....). I think about how amazing it is that I have a roof over my head and have a decent salary that I can use to fund my big dream. See the difference?

So while it's so important to be grateful for everything you have, don't allow that to make you content with things that aren't right for you. Keep searching, keep climbing, and keep designing a world that turns you on. But don't begrudge the one you're currently living in. 

I'd love to know what your thoughts are on this. Leave me a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment