Ads 468x60px

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Almondie Almond Butter and Almond Milk Concentrate Review

Healthy fats are so important in a healthy diet. They're good for your brain, your hair, your skin, your eyes, your mood, and your taste buds! As my long-time readers know, some of my favorite healthy fat sources are nut butters. I eat nut butter on bread, in my yogurt bowls, on my granola, spread on baked goods, dripped over ice cream, on bananas, with beans, on granola bars, on chocolate bars, etc.

I am a firm believer that there's not much that doesn't taste even better with nut butter.

There's a lot of variety in the quality and taste of nut butters, however. Frankly, you just can't compare a jumbo jar of Jif to a Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams or an Artisana Walnut Butter.That's why I love discovering new (to me) nut butters. There's a nut butter for everyone (even those with nut allergies - think soy 'nut' butter) and for every mood and craving!



When you're craving 100% pure, raw, healthy nut butter, Almondie Almond Butter is a great option.It contains no additives, preservatives, or sweeteners and the almonds used are skinless (so acid-free) making them more easily digested and less likely to trigger headaches in those with sensitivities.



There's oil separation, as with most organic nut butters, but even post-stirring Almondie is a really drippy nut butter. As such, I think it's better to have with baked goods, or on ice cream or cereal, than as a bread spread.



Like other raw almond butters, the flavor is a lot milder than the roasted almond butters and I prefer that milder flavor. It will definitely make it a more accessible option for children and for those who are trying almond butter for the first time.



Also, Almondie's drippy consistency is handy for one thing - it's the only/first 100% pure, raw almond milk concentrate on the market. To turn your nut butter into a creamy almond milk (it really gets quite delicious) just blend 8oz of lukewarm water with 2 tsp. of Almondie almond butter.You can get creative and add flavorings of your own, like cocoa, vanilla, fruits/dried fruits, molasses, etc., and have a lot of fun with it! This was the first time I've made a non-dairy milk on my own and it was really easy and a much more cost-effective method.

The same company makes some other raw nut butters, including Brazil Nut Butter, Max Sesame Butter, Pecan Butter, and Pumpkin Seed Butter. I tried their Pistachio Butter and Walnut Butter.


The pistachio butter wasn't as drippy as the almond butter, so I preferred its consistency. It's a very intense pistachio flavor, so you don't need much and you can't really eat that much at once - but its add that perfect pizzazz to a baked sweet potato, especially with a nice sprinkling of dried cranberries or raisins on top.


I've had walnut butter before, but not pure. When I asked Artisana why their walnut butter is as much a cashew butter as it is a walnut butter, they said that you can't make a creamy nut butter with a knock 'em dead consistency and a good flavor using just walnuts.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Artisana a lot - but I'm going to have to disagree with them on that point.

This walnut butter is made of one ingredient and one ingredient only: 100% raw ground walnuts. While it is drippier than Artisana's walnut butter, and not quite as creamy in consistency, its flavor is more pure and, despite the (slight) texture difference, I prefer it.

As you can tell from the fact that it has been doing some major lurking in my WIAW posts lately, I'm kind of obsessed with this walnut butter. I definitely cried a little (jk - kind of) when the jar was finished.



Nuts are good and cashews are no different, so it's not that there's anything wrong with having a mixed nut butter. But for a pure walnut butter, for that pure walnut taste and maximal healthy walnut benefits (walnuts are speculated to be the best nut for heart health, they're loaded with antioxidants, and they're a great vegan source of Omega 3 fatty acids.

Have you ever made your own non-dairy milk?

Have you tried/heard of Almondie?

Do you prefer thick or drippy nut butters?

Don't forget to enter my Tookies Smores Cookie-in-a-Jar Gift giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment