Ads 468x60px

Monday, November 5, 2012

It's Baking Time!

Who doesn't love indulgent chocolaty cookies?

Especially when they're full of whole grains and fresh out of the oven?



Unfortunately, summer time causes a baker's dilemma for me. I really don't like turning on the oven much when it's hot out, as I really dislike the heat.

AUGUST: Oven = Heat -> More A/C = Such A Waste.

But now that it's November, one of the biggest pros of late fall's cooler temperatures (even though it means we can't wear our cute summer dresses anymore) is that it means that baking is back on!

NOVEMBER: Oven = Heat -> Less Heating = Score!

But there's a catch. While there's time in summer to bake, November is the last full month before final exams and classes are all in full gear! So unless it's Thanksgiving Break (which is - yippee! - only a couple weeks away) there often isn't time to put all the prep into baking from scratch.

TA-DA!


Among Friends is a healthy baking mix company founded by two friends, Suzie Miller and Lizann Anderson. They make four varieties of cookie baking mixes at the moment, all of which are whole grain and healthy enough to have for breakfast!


That's a better ingredient list than some cereals and granola bars can offer!

They're also super quick and easy to make, using just some pantry staples and the mix.


Two eggs and some butter :) I don't like when you buy a baking mix and there's a long list of things you have to add - I feel ripped off! So this was great.


At the last minute, I decided to sub coconut oil for the butter. Why not?


Two eggs, the mix, and four tablespoons of coconut oil in a bowl:


Then just mix it all up (note that I'm a college student and don't always have the right equipment, so try not to judge my fork action).


Then you just form them into balls, roll them in sugar, and bake them in the oven (pre-heated to 450F) for 10 minutes.

Since I was in a hurry and I like my cookies big and soft better than small and crunchy, anyway, I made 15 largish cookies instead of 45 small ones.


Since my largish cookies weren't excessively huge though, I'd say that the label's claim of 45 cookies was stretching it a bit. Those would be some pretty tiny cookies. These were the perfect size for me, though, and super delicious!

They made the whole apartment smell deliciously chocolaty!


This one cracked, because I was overeager and couldn't wait to let them cool before I tried them. Cookies are best straight from the oven, cooling is overrated. :)


Not only can you see the chocolaty goodness (and trust me, you can taste it!) but you can also see those delightful whole grains!

And oh, the melty chocolate chips - so good. I'm really glad I decided to use coconut oil instead of butter, because it doesn't seem to have affected the texture negatively at all (I couldn't imagine it being better) and it added a very subtle coconut flavor that just made the chocolate flavor so much more intensely, deliciously satisfying.


These are just so chockfull of delicious goodness, I don't even want to share!


But I will, because Christmas is coming up and the Christmas spirit (and the spirit of giving just has to come with that) is already alive and well with me.


These were so quick and easy to make, so if you're in a rush but (a) want to eat freshly baked homemade cookies, (b) need cookies for an event/bake sale, (c) need to bring something to a party, (d) are entertaining, they're great.

I'm also pretty sure Santa wouldn't mind finding a plate of these on Christmas Eve. And they're super healthy, too, so it would be a nice energy boost as he makes his way around the world ;)

While CJ's Chocokrinkles are the only Among Friends baking mix that I've tried, they also make three other varieties: Evan's Heavenly, Suzie Q's Chocolate Chip (their best-seller), and Trish the Dish (a crisp, not a cookie). I imagine they must be pretty tasty, too, based on the delicious success that this was - even with my coconut oil substitution!

Approximately what percentage of the time do you bake from mixes?

What's your favorite kind of cookie?

Do you leave cookies and milk out for Santa?

Don't forget to enter my Tookies Smores Cookie-in-a-Jar Gift giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment