Ads 468x60px

Monday, February 11, 2013

Homemade Vegan Grilled Cheese

I've enjoyed grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch since I was a kid, but only occasionally. My stomach doesn't enjoy all the cheese, so I can't have it as often as I'd like.

I'd heard about vegan cheese, but always had my doubts. How could something made out of pea protein, yeast, and arrowroot flour make a tasty grilled cheese sandwich?


Daiya offered to let me try their dairy-free cheese, so I decided that I'd finally see if a vegan version of my stomach-upseting childhood sandwich could be as good.

They have wedges and shreds, but my local store was out of the cheddar wedges and I wanted to use cheddar 'cheese,' since it's what I'd typically used on my grilled cheese sandwiches.



I decided to get the shredded cheddar for the sandwich and see if packing it on would work.

It did :)



Homemade Grilled Cheese Sandwich (vegan)

* 2 slices of bread 
* 1/4 c. Daiya shredded cheddar
* 1 small tomato, sliced
* 1 tsp. olive oil
* salt & pepper to taste

1) Sprinkle the olive oil on one side of each slice of bread.

2) Flip the one slice of bread over and arrange the tomato slices on top. Pack on the cheese.


3) Top with the other slice, place in your pre-heated panini press. 

ENJOY!!


The verdict? The sandwich was every bit as delicious as the dairy version, but completely free of the subsequent digestive distress associated with my childhood grilled cheeses. 

The flavor was spot on and the cheese shreds melted very well, even achieving the delightful stretchy-strings-of-hot-gooey-ooey-cheese effect!

Have you tried Daiya cheese?

What's your favorite type of cheese?

What do you put on your grilled cheese sandwiches? I like tomato slices on my grilled cheese sandwiches. If a grilled cheese sandwich doesn't have any tomato, it definitely needs ketchup!

No comments:

Post a Comment