Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

WIAW #78: Travel Edition

For those of you who don't follow my Instagram account (aka, most of you - I haven't really put much effort into getting it out there yet) this WIAW is travel-themed and made of entirely Instagram photos!

Peas and Crayons

There's been plenty of schoolwork to do, of course, with the new semester and glancing at LSAT books now and then.


But I've also had the opportunity to make good use of my nifty suitcases lately. 


Some fun highlights are New York City (always a fave) and Nashville - while Nashville can't hold a candle to New York or Los Angeles, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed my time there!

The Amtrak is definitely a convenient option for the Boston to NYC commute.


There's more space than on planes, less stingy budget requirements, and you don't have to go through security and show up hours early.

And you can watch movies on your laptop from the get-go.


Like Two Weeks Notice - Sandra Bullock is awesome!

The Acela even has WiFi, but the bandwidth isn't great enough to stream movies or listen to music online.

But wait, this is a WIAW! Here are some on-train travel snacks:


Crunchy chickpea snacks are a new fave!


5th Avenue and Madison are also faves, of course. Isn't the exterior of the Bulgari store gorgeous?

Leaving NYC is always a bit sad.



But when you're off to Nashville just a couple days later, you can't really complain!



Even when you're flying US Airways and, as always, facing major delays.



Things I didn't know: Nashville has good apples.


Like really good apples. Or maybe it's only the Hutton Hotel.


I'm not sure what type of apple the above is, but it's my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE.


Dannon Oikos is good, but not great like Chobani or Fage. Or even Voskos. But Greek yogurt doesn't seem to be as big a deal in Nashville and I'll take what I can get.


Like enjoying room service (the sandwich was okay, but the roasted veggie sides were great, if a little oily).


Or enjoying an Arby's salad, even if the cheese is sort of plastic-y and the lettuce is iceberg.

Um, I actually like iceberg lettuce. A lot. I don't care that it isn't as nutritionally strong as kale or whatever!


Fresh veggies with PB dip and a Lara Uber bar make a great snack while you wait for room service. Room service was usually pretty snappy, but they were a little slower when I ordered late (around 9 or 10pm) so this snack helped tide me over.


Amd See's Candies chocolates are absolutely delightful as a late night treat with guilty pleasure reality TV and a good book.


That's Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart. Have you read it? It's quite good!

Traveling is always fun and so are travel eats, but it's also nice to come home to your kitchen. 

I'm delighted not to be on the meal plan anymore, now I get to make and eat food that I like, like these taste Dominex Eggplant veggie burgers!


Dominex Eggplant are The Eggplant People and their vegan veggie burgers are amazing! They're definitely up there on my top faves list for veggie burgers, right alongside Dr. Praeger's California Veggie Burgers.

These eggplant burgers are super quick and easy to prepare (just microwave the frozen patties for a few minutes on each side). They're flavorful and hearty, but also all-natural and a whole food source of antioxidants - not to mention a veggie serving!


The burgers are actually made with fresh eggplant that is cooked and packaged just days after being harvested and the attention to fresh veggies and high quality ingredients really pays off! Unlike some other frozen veggie burgers (like those at my dining hall when I was on the meal plan) these aren't cardboard-reminiscent slabs of faux meat. They're smoky, heart, flavorful, and even have delightful char marks - this is a satisfying veggie burger through and through!

It's nice to travel, but it's also quite nice to come home to your tasty staples. 

Where's the last place you traveled to?

Do you eat differently when you travel than at home? I definitely do, I believe in enjoying yourself always and experiencing new things, even if that means skipping the usual faves for a few days!

What are your favorite travel treats?

No comments:

Post a Comment