Ads 468x60px

Monday, February 11, 2013

The Veganista Diaries: Soy Chorizo Tacos!



So after my first week eating a vegan plant-based diet, I was beginning to crave the comfort foods I'm used to. Veggies and brown rice are great, but I had a hankering for something that felt like a cheat meal to indulge in on a Saturday night.

I decided to take a stab at vegan tacos. With a half-Mexican husband who grew up on the West Coast and spend nearly 10 years living in California, this was a brazen move. But he agreed to give them a try and supported my little experiment.

I started with Tofurkey chorizo style "meat" and sautéed it with diced bell peppers and red onions.



After that cooked, I stuffed the mixture into Garden of Eatin' yellow corn tortilla shells, topped with some Daiya vegan cheddar shreds, some lettuce, and of course, a dash of hot sauce. 

Here's the finished product!



Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 pack of Tofurkey soy chorizo
1/4 cup diced bell peppers
1/4 cup diced red onion
4 Garden of Eatin' yellow corn tortilla shells
1/2 cup Daiya cheddar shreds

Recipe:
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan
Add peppers and onions, sauté for 5 minutes over medium-high heat
Add chorizo and continue to sauté for 10-12 more minutes, or until mixture is hot
Stuff taco shells with mixture and top with cheddar shreds and lettuce
Add hot sauce if you like it spicy!
Pair with your favorite cocktail, and enjoy!


Not only was I in love, they got the hubby stamp of approval (which is big!) He swore he didn't miss the meat OR the cheese (and neither did I!)
 We paired them with a glass of prosecco which was a nice compliment to the heat.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment