Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

It's Bread Time!

I love bread!

I've always loved bread, whether it's for breakfast, lunch, snack, or even dinner! As of the past year or two, I've also discovered sprouted bread. It's heartier, earthier (if that makes sense), grainier, and comes with a host of nutritional benefits.

I'd had the Food for Life ones (like the Ezekiel english muffins - oh.my.gosh) but I hadn't tried anything from Alvarado St. Bakery before. I got a coupon to try one of their breads, so I headed to Whole Foods to pick one out!

The sprouted breads are also in the freezer section, like the Food for Life ones. There are several varieties (including big sprouted bagels) but I settled on the sprouted barley. I haven't had barley in such a long time and I'm not sure if I've ever had barley bread!


The bread is not only 100% whole grain, but also a nutritional superstar with a wonderfully short ingredients list (compared to the more processed packaged breads, with their grocery lists of preservatives and additives). There's nothing too foreign on that list and there's a nice 2g (10% RDI) of fiber per slice.


Separating the slices was a little tough, because they were a bit frozen together. A sharp knife took care of that, though, and 30 seconds in the microwave warmed the slice right up to delicious softness.

I actually prefer frozen bread, because I don't have to worry about expiration dates or freshness. It's pretty much 'fresh' forever!

The texture of the bread may not please little kids, because of all the graininess, but I really enjoyed it.


There are bunch of different textures and real seediness. I can't say that I noticed any raisins in there, but I wasn't expecting any until I saw the ingredients list, anyway, so that was fine.

It's hearty, it's delicious, and two slices with peanut butter and banana kept me full until lunch!



Considering my ravenous appetite, that's quite a feat. 

I would definitely buy this bread again - it's healthy, delicious, and filling!

Have you tried Alvarado Street Bakery product before?

Do you prefer frozen or shelf-stable bread? I'm not sure how else to phrase that, but you know what I mean.

What was your breakfast today?

No comments:

Post a Comment