Ads 468x60px

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Vegetarian Eats in Hildesheim, Germany

It's less than two months until I go to Germany! Yaaaaay!

I love Germany. Not that my love for Germany is a big secret. I definitely love the USA, too (it's home), but I've always been delighted to be half-German. The culture, the food, the fashion...

LOVE.

But speaking of the food, Germany hasn't always been the most vegetarian-friendly country, as far as restaurant fare goes. If you're making your own food, you're fine. But if you like eating out, or if you're vegan, you're in a bit of a tight spot.

That's been changing in recent years and, even in small locales like Hildesheim, vegetarian eateries are becoming more and more widespread. I think that's great!

Here are the places that, in addition to my beloved Reformhaus Bacher, I have to visit when I'm in Germany later this summer!

So-ja
Judenstrasse 5
Phone: 004951219994987

This one is Cafe-Bistro with a pretty nice ambience.

Ambiente

They have a fixed menu and a rotating daily menu, offering both vegetarian and vegan options. They even have a vegan chocolate cake! 

Empfehlung 1

Pretty much everything on their menu, from the veggie burgers to the quark dishes (not vegan) to the veggie sausage salad sounds amazing. I'm going to have to go there several times, so that I can try it all!

I'll have to go with my mom, it sounds like the kind of place she would really enjoy, too.

It's open 10am-8pm Monday-Friday and 10am-4pm on Saturday. It's closed on Sunday.

Die Knolle
Goschenstrasse 73
Phone: 00495121131452 

Die Knolle is a health food store offering organic produce, vegetarian and vegan substitutes, organic dairy, whole grain baked foods (some from their fresh bakery) and more. 



I love health food stores, so I'll have to visit it!

It's open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday and 9am-1pm on Saturday. It's also closed on Sunday.

Terra Verde
Marienburger Strasse 95d 
Phone: 05121695014 


I must admit that I actually have been to this one before. I discovered it the last time that I was in Germany for the fall and really liked it, especially their whole grain bakery section and great selection of soy yogurts and ice creams, vegetarian meat substitutes, granolas, and energy bars!




It's open 8:30am-6:30pm Monday-Friday and 8:30am-2pm on Saturday. It's also closed on Sunday (notice a trend?).

Ice Boutique Fattor
Andreaspassage 3 (31134) 
Phone: 0512115566 


I couldn't find any photos for this one (it must be pretty new!) but it's an ice cream parlor that offers vegan (soy) ice creams in addition to the general offerings. They're on a separate menu, but they're available! That's fabulous, because too much dairy ice cream can give me a stomachache, since I'm a bit lactose intolerant.

I can't wait to try their soy ice cream!

This one is the exception to the general opening times rule. It's open 9am-6pm Monday through Sunday!

That's good, because y'all know I want my ice cream every day of the week.

Do I have any German readers reading this right now?

What's the yummiest vegetarian restaurant you've ever been to in your whole life? Anywhere in the world goes!

Are you going anywhere this summer? If yes, where?

No comments:

Post a Comment