Ads 468x60px

Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Sandwich Alternative

Can you believe my sister's college already starts classes next week? Summer has flown!

And state schools start school mad early.

Anyway, she's a lucky duck and isn't stuck with a mandatory meal plan (unlike moi) so she's always on the lookout for tasty meals that she can make herself.


Le sigh, how I wish I had that freedom.

Since she lives off campus and has to drive to campus for classes (and to the mall for work - she works at Charlotte Russe and apparently gets awesome discounts on their stuff!) she's often not home over lunch. That means her options are a food court or a bag lunch. But sandwiches every day?

Hey, I love sandwiches. I could so do sandwiches every day. But my big sis? She likes a little variety.


Tortillas get a bad rep for being low in fiber and really carb-heavy (not bad in general, but bad for diabetics and dieters). Some grocery store tortillas can be filled with preservatives and ingredients you and I can't pronounce.

These tortillas from French Meadow Bakery, however, are a simple, healthy alternative.

Sprouted Grain Tortilla Ingredients
The sent me three varieties to try, the sprouted grain tortilla, the gluten-free tortilla, and the fat flush tortilla (essentially a smaller version of the sprouted grain tortilla, with somewhat altered ingredients but still sprouted, from what I can tell).



What they all have in common is recognizable, healthy ingredients that we can feel good about having as the starch base of our on-the-go lunches.

Gluten-free tortilla ingredients



Fat flush tortilla ingredients
 The only catch to these tortillas is that you need to keep them frozen - the gluten-free tortillas have no ambient shelf life and the other two only last a few days.

That's not a big problem, though, because they're all thawed out and ready to go after under five minutes in the oven (I'm sure you could microwave them, too, but my microwave is still MIA).

The big one is the sprouted tortilla, the small one in the upper right hand corner is the fat flush and the small one in the lower right hand corner is the gluten free.
 The tortilla texture is spot on in all three and they hold up well (even after a few hours in a cooler bag) stuffed with all kinds of tasty toppings.

My favorite savoury combo, that I'll be sure to pass on to my sister, was lots of guacamole, diced tomato, shredded lettuce, and pinto beans dressed with a splash of olive oil, a shake of salt, pepper, and nooch and wrapped up in the sprouted tortilla. Try it, it's good!



Of the three, the only one that is large enough to be a lunch-time wrap base or burrito tortilla is the sprouted one (pictured above).

The other two were better as either a mini-wrap for a snack or, as I enjoyed doing with the gluten-free tortilla, for layering two tortillas on top of each other with cheese or vegan cheese in between, brushing both sides with oil, and grilling in a pan for really tasty quesadillas in under five minutes.

You don't need to defrost the tortilla first and it's delicious dunked in guacamole or marinara.


That also saves you the one little issue that the gluten-free tortilla had - it was the only one of the three that stuck to the (not greased) baking sheet. Still, greasing the sheet (or using them to make a quesadilla) isn't really much of a bother considering how tasty these are - there's no weird aftertaste, unlike some other gluten free tortillas and breads have.


The fat flush tortilla is delicious, but very small - one is not enough for the carb component of a meal. But it's perfect for a snack, and since I'm not trying to flush any fat...


SHAZAM a sweet afternoon snack wrap!


To assemble, cover a tortilla in a generous layer of chocolate nut butter (I believe this was chocolate hazelnut, but I also have open jars of chocolate peanut and chocolate almond, so I could have used any of the three in this picture - believe me, I've tried wraps in each variation), then add raspberries (I like them frozen!), and ground flax seeds for a little extra nutritional punch (and extra nuttiness).


Roll it all up and enjoy! Best enjoyed with a side of sweet, chilled vanilla almond milk and some chick lit.

Or you could try spreading it with homemade Cacao Bliss if you win my coconut oil giveaway...

Do you pack wraps for lunch?


What's your go-to on-the-go lunch?


What are you reading right now? No shame here, you don't all need to spout deep volumes of literature at me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment