Ads 468x60px

Friday, August 31, 2012

Healthy Lunchbox Series Day 5 and Friday Foodie Finds #9

It's the last day of my Healthy Lunchbox Series!

It was a ton of fun and I'm both sad to see it end (and to leave home/family tomorrow early in the morning) and excited to start my own new school year. I have an idea of what classes I'm going to take, but it isn't set in stone yet! I still have plenty to do.

Anyway, here's another sample lunchbox from the series - and it's the last one!


Today is National Trail Mix Day (who knew?) so I had to, of course, include a packet of trail mix. I chose a bag of Flanigan Farms Nuts 'n Thing, because it's already conveniently packaged and contains a yummy assortment of different nuts, seeds, and dried fruits. Yum!



I also included the last of this summer's tomato harvest from the three tomato plants we grow in our yard (for a little veg) and some Mighty Pretzel Minis, since my little sister enjoyed them so much last time.As for the sandwich?


 It's just a plain old butter-and-cheese and multi-grain bread half-sandwich. While unusual sandwich combs are what I tend to prefer, there's something to be said for simplicity. Especially when you're packing for young children. While it's fun to think out of the box and try something new, don't forget that packing healthy lunches is just about enjoying good food and fuel. It doesn't always have to be pretty, complicated, or unconventional! Staples are staples for a reason :)

Don't forget to check back for the Healthy Lunchbox Series wrap-up post tomorrow, as well as enter my Nana's Cookies Giveaway and my Gardein Giveaway! Winners of the Nana's Cookies Fudgy Wudgy Bars will be announced in tomorrow's post.

Okay, now on to the second part of the post!

Let's face it - my Friday Foodie Finds? Well, they're pretty much always very sweet-centric. Yes, I have a sweet tooth. :)

But as I've been actually making an effort to try more savory foods lately, I decided to dedicate this Friday Foodie Finds post to exclusively savory foods. V for vegan (everything is vegetarian, since I am), R for raw, and G for gluten-free. Enjoy!




Curry Grilled Zucchini Rollups | Edible Perspective


Maria & Josh's Vegan Sushi Salad V



David, Luise, & Elsa's Grilled Portobello and Peach Burgers V




Yum. I've been eating a lot of granola, ice cream, and PB&Js lately, so I need to tempt myself back over to savoury a bit. I think I'll try some of these - they look like they just might do the trick!

Do you have to remind yourself to eat savoury foods?

Which recipe (if any) are you going to try?

What are you most looking forward to this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment