Ads 468x60px

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Magic of Make Up and A Great Pre-Show Snack

Guys, I have a confession.

I suck at make-up. All that I can actually do is eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss.

And the eyeliner is kind of iffy. It's more like eyesquigler than eyeliner when I use it.

But I loooooooove getting my make up done. It's definitely one of the perks of modeling!

I'm not one of those girls who slouches over to the make-up mirror being like 'don't poke me in the eye' and 'here's what I want to look like' (diva, much?).

I'm like:


And then after the make-up is on, I'm like:


Make-up is so cool because it lets you look different. If you feel like you have to wear make-up all the time, or you aren't pretty without it, then you might want to take a break from make-up. We don't need make-up.

But I don't wear make-up very much and to me make-up is like another accessory. I don't feel like I need it, but I do love seeing how it takes a look over the top!

I go from this:

Me without make-up (on the Amtrak, in case you're wondering, heading back from NYC to Boston after a shoot last semester)
to this:

On the Amtrak back from NYC to Boston after a shoot last semester, when I didn't take off my make-up first.
or this:

After a fashion show at Copley Place last semester.
or this:
After a shoot earlier this summer. The shoot was in a castle in New Jersey, too cool!
or this:

My personal fave, courtesy of a member of Maybelline's traveling team for fashion shows (this was last semester at one of my favorite fashion shows yet)
And don't even get me started on hair.

When wardrobe, hair, and make-up come together, you can't help but have the confidence (even if you're a recovering-shy-girl like me) to go be fierce on a runway!

On the runway at the fashion show for which the last of the above make-up looks was applied - a full four hours before we walked!
The multiple-thousand dollar dresses that I could never otherwise afford to wear don't hurt, either.

Ooh, now I'm all excited for Boston Fashion Week!

Speaking of which...often for shows, you'll have to be backstage hours (like five) before the show. Backstage food can be pretty hit-or-miss, depending on the show and the designer and the catering company. It's important to eat a good meal before you head out, and to pack plenty of pre-show snacks.

Like these:


Perfect Fuel Chocolate is a snack designed for athletes. It's made of organic cacao and is high in antioxidants, has no refined sugar, and provides sustained energy from the winning combo of ginseng and cacao. Many of the things that make Perfect Fuel Chocolate a good snack for athletes are the same things that make them great for me to take backstage!

The squares are individually wrapped, making them convenient to have in your backpack or fanny pack (if you're a cyclist) for an on-the-go nosh.


They're made of just healthy, natural ingredients that will energize you without weighing you down or making you feel sluggish (which, fyi, is pretty important if you're in six inch heels on a three-foot-wide runway).


There's only 3g of sugar in a block, so you don't have to worry about an ill-timed energy crash.


And the blocks are a pretty decent size - just the right size to satisfy, considering the flavor intensity!


They're really flavorful and the ginseng is an unexpected, but delightful, companion to the intense dark chocolate flavor. They aren't particularly creamy, as really dark chocolates tend to be, but the flavor makes up for it and this also means they aren't as prone to get smeary or messy.

Because chocolate all over that $6,000 dress you're wearing? Yeah, you're not going to get rehired.


But these were perfect! I recommend them for exams, shoots, runway shows, traveling, and (of course) athletes and their sporting events/practices.


I'd choose a block of delicious dark chocolate over some multi-colored gummy 'energy shot' full of questionable ingredients any day, wouldn't you?

Don't forget to enter my chocolaty giveaway!

Have you ever tried Ginseng?

Do you like unusual flavor combinations?

What's your favorite thing about make up?

No comments:

Post a Comment