Ads 468x60px

Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday Foodie Finds #30

I love, love, LOVE peanut butter! Yesterday was National Peanut Butter Day, so today's theme is peanut butter - check out these awesome peanut butter recipes from around the blogosphere!

This week is peanut butter recipes, next week is peanut butter sandwiches :)

As always, V for vegan, GF for gluten free, and R for raw.


DSC_0076


Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Pie Recipe at TidyMom.net #LoveThePie

Can you say MY kind of pie?? I need to try this now! Heck, I need to try this...five minutes ago! Okay, I'll finish this post - but then, off to the kitchen!



I'm not vegan, but I'm glad there's a Girl Scout Cookie knock-off out there for those of you who are. I don't know what I'd do without my annual dose of Girl Scout cookies! Peanut Butter Patties, Peanut Butter Sandwiches, and Caramel Delites are THE BOMB.


Banana Peanut Butter Muffins

And they're whole grain!


If you've already had your fill of nut butters for the day, but you still want that peanut flour flavor (or you're looking for a lighter baking mix-in than peanut butter), peanut powder is a popular alternative.


I tried a new to me brand of peanut flour. Dowd & Roger's from Fun Fresh Foods has all-natural gluten-free peanut powder made of non-gmo roasted peanuts.

I like that it's in a tub instead of a bag. A lot of peanut flours come in a bag, but then you have to transfer the powder to a tub for storage and it can all get a bit messy

I also like that the tub is nearly full of powder. PB2's jars are half-empty and it always makes me wonder why they don't just use a smaller jar (since you're not meant to pre-mix the powder all at once, any way).

I tried both their Peanut Powder with Cacao and their original plain Peanut Powder.


I tried the plain one first, as that's the one I use most in recipes, for sauces, and in milkshakes.

The ingredients list is short and sweet.


Just Roasted Peanuts, Organic Evaporated Cane Sugar, and Himalayan Pink Sea Salt. To make the standard peanut paste (the option closest to peanut butter) you must mix 2 Tbsp of the Peanut Powder with up to 1Tbsp of water (or oil - I think olive oil tastes quite good with it, if you'd like to get in some healthy fats and essential fatty acids for your skin, hair, brain, and heart).


But if you have plenty of fat in your diet already and are using the peanut powder as a lower fat peanut butter substitute, water works quite well.


Even with water, it mixes up to a nice creamy consistency. As you can see, it's a nice golden brown color. The rich color correlates with a rich flavor - this peanut powder makes a very flavorful peanut paste!

With the light sweetness from the organic sugar and the light saltiness from the Himalayan sea salt, this peanut powder is one of the most convincing peanut butter substitutes of the flours that I've tried, if you're using it as a lower fat bread spread, ice cream topping, or yogurt mix-in. It also holds up well in heat, in case you want to use it in pancakes or peanut noodles (pasta with spicy Asian peanut sauce).

Though it's very versatile, my favorite way to use this peanut powder is as a peanut paste.


It's great for dipping anything and everything into!

The peanut powder with cacao is also quite good - it's essentially the same thing, but chocolatey. It won't fool any of you DCD lovers, but it's great as a milkshake mix-in.

Well, I'm off to try making that Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Pie now!

Is peanut butter your favorite nut butter?

How often do you eat peanut butter?

What do you use peanut flour for? How often?

What are you up to this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment