Ads 468x60px

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Unusual Ingredient: Wild Mushrooms

Mushrooms seem to have become all the rage lately - it seems like everyone is eating portobello this and shiitake that. Like most food trends, I've been super slow to jump on the bandwagon.

I'm much less creative/adventurous with food during the school year, when I'm busy, but it's finally summer (whoot). Even though LSATs still loom on the horizon, I'm already in full-on summer mode. So it's time to break in my NYC kitchen with some fun new recipes!

The only way that I've ever really eaten mushrooms was in my mom's (delicious) spaghetti and cheese dish or on pizza. I really enjoy the mushrooms in both of those dishes, but somehow I've just never really felt motivated to try mushrooms in anything else.

Once of the reasons for the recent increase in interest in mushrooms among epicurians is that some mushrooms have a hearty, meaty flavor. Since more people have become vegetarian recently, including some who actually enjoy the taste of meat, it makes sense that more people are turning to mushrooms to satisfy that savory craving.

A great example is this vegetarian "meatloaf" that gets a lot of its flavor from mushrooms.


Vegetarian Wild Mushroom "Meatloaf"
The parmesan cheese in the recipe helps bring out the flavor of the mushrooms, much as cheese makes eggplant's flavor bolder in eggplant parmesan.

While I think that recipe sounds interesting, I'm leaning more towards this unique spin on pizza as my mushroom-tasting project.


Wild Mushroom & Potato Pizza on Whole Grain Naan

A potato pizza? How interesting!

My mom loves quiche, so though I probably won't try this one in my near future myself (there are only so many recipes that I can try, especially since I like trying to make some of my own!) here's a mushroom quiche recipe.

Un Dejeneur de Soleil's Mushroom Quiche

Quiche ai funghi

I wonder how quiche was invented - was it a pizza spin-off or a spin-off of sweet pie, or did it come after meat pies and other savory pies were already popular?

Do you like mushrooms?

What food trends have you noticed lately?

What's the oddest topping you've ever had on a pizza?

No comments:

Post a Comment