Ads 468x60px

Thursday, March 14, 2013

An Organic Delight!

I'm not vegan, but I do know that vegan food can be delicious. Vegan does not mean just a whole lot of green stuff and 'roughage.' Treats can be vegan, too!



Uncle Eddie's Vegan Cookies aims for that intersection between delicious and vegan. These are treats completely free of leaves, sprouts, twigs, and green things, so you can serve them to even the most discerning omnivores.



I tried four of their bagged cookies cookies: oatmeal raisin, cocoa spice, peanut butter chocolate chip, and molasses.



The peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are super yummy! Though they were a little drier tasting than some, the rich chocolate chips completely made up for that. My mom, my little sister, and I all enjoyed the cookies a lot!



The molasses cookie was soft and sweet, but not too sweet. It's a spiced cookie (more of a grown-up favorite) so while my mom and I really enjoyed it, my little sister wasn't as much of a fan. They toe the line with the spicing, but the cookie still falls on the right side of spiced - the delicious one!

The cocoa spice one misses the mark a bit, however.


Though the idea of spiced chocolate cookie is intriguing, the combination of clove and chocolate tasted odd. Luckily, we had the oatmeal raisin cookies to eat next.

There's no way you can tell they're vegan! They're a soft, buttery cookie with nice vanilla flavor and a little touch of coconut. There are plenty of plump, juicy raisins and all three of us loved them. These are in my top 3 oatmeal raisin cookies period, vegan or not vegan!

For when you're on the go and want a handy treat to stick in your bag (or if you just don't want to share) they have individually wrapped, mall-size cookies, too.


I tried three varieties: chocolate chip, oatmeal chocolate chip, and trail mix.


Of the three, the trail mix cookie is my favorite. It's chockfull of nuts and seeds and dried fruits! If you like lots of textures and flavors (as I do) you'll really like this cookie! It's a dense cookie, but not all dry. The chocolate chip walnut cookie was a disappointment, on the other hand. 

That's usually my favorite kind of cookie, but these tasted dry and a little stale. They just weren't very flavorful and not at all moist. Even the chocolate chips couldn't save it (pity).

But the oatmeal chocolate chip was, again, a treat. There could have been more chocolate chips for my (chocoholic) taste, as there really weren't many in there. The cookie base was tasty, however, rich and chewy and good!

As you can see, Uncle Eddie's Vegan Cookies are a bit of a hit-or-miss treat. When they get it right, they really get it right! And the ones that still need a little work? Well, they still need a little work.

But I'd definitely recommend checking out the trail mix cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, and peanut butter chocolate chip cookies - they're delicious!

What's your favorite kind of cookie?

Have you ever tried a vegan cookie?

Do you prefer simple or complex flavors?

No comments:

Post a Comment