Ads 468x60px

Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Case for Plant-Based: First 30 Days Following a Plant-Based Diet!

image via Mind Body Green

I can't believe it's already been 30 days since I adopted a plant-based vegan diet. If someone had told me a few months ago that I could -- and would -- go 30 days without touching cheese, I probably would have told you that you were bat shit crazy. But here I am, healthier and happier than ever and more importantly, so very proud of my will power.

Let me paint the picture of my former self to you for a moment: I really did think I was a very healthy eater. And I guess to some degree I was, but again, it's all relative. I was never pigging out (okay, well sometimes), but for the most part I really did treat my body with respect. I rarely ate processed foods, never touched a refined carb, did not even dream of drinking diet soda, and I made sure that veggies were always the star of the show. I rarely ate meat, and if I did it's because I forced myself. I thought I needed it for protein. I did, however, indulge in creamer and half & half in my coffee regularly, and I was not ashamed to nibble on a block of Manchego and a few glasses of wine for dinner. Yes. Cheese. For. Dinner. It happened more than I'd like to admit. Come to think of it, cheese was always present at lunch too, and I occasionally snacked on it as well. 

So when I decided to go plant-based, I was a little nervous, but I was ready. I knew I needed a bit of an intervention in the cheese department, and I also wanted a way to shake these 10-15 lbs that seemed to be glued to my body. Morning after morning, I'd get on the scale, frustrated and wondering why I couldn't lose weight. I guess my mind had a funny way of blocking out all the excess calories and fat I had been sneaking in. On top of it all, my skin looked like shit, but I blamed it on anything else I could think of; the weather, my moisturizer, my makeup, etc. Never did I once truly examine all the foods I was putting in my body and even think beyond calorie count. Healthy eating never really went beyond vanity for me -- until now.

Without getting into all the details of why I decided to go plant-based (notice I'm saying plant-based? I have found a lot of judgement around the word "vegan" especially since I still wear leather, etc. so rather than deal with that, I will start to use plant-based for the most part when describing my lifestyle), in short: I felt it was healthier for me. I did lots of my own personal research, and ultimately this is the choice I made for myself. I'm not here to convince you of all the reasons you should do it too. I will never be that person. I'm just here to share my experiences.

So what are a few things that I've noticed?


  • My energy level immediately went through the roof. I felt oddly zen, yet energized, if that makes any sense at all.
  • I felt extremely clear-headed as early as Day 2. I still feel this way. It feels almost as though a fog has lifted. 
  • I've lost around 5-6 pounds. I truly expected to lose more, but I have to remember that I'm 32 and I've been yo-yo dieting for the past 20 years. Yes, 20 years. I went on my first diet at 11 years old, so my metabolism isn't exactly in tip top condition. But I'm patient and ultimately the way I feel outweighs any number on the scale.
  • My skin looks amazing. No amount of highlighter or shimmer powder can achieve this glow!
  • My stomach felt much flatter within the first couple of days. I feel like I've lost a layer of bloat.
  • I don't feel overly full or bloated after eating. Instead, I feel satisfied and energized.
  • Everything I put on looks better. I'm sure this has to do with the 5 pounds, but it almost looks as though I've lost more weight than that. I feel more toned and less puffy.
  • The past week or so I have felt really tired, so I started taking a B12 sublingual supplement (the kind you dissolve under your tongue) and this has helped a lot. 
  • I haven't given up the wine, but I have cut back a lot. I'm just not craving it (weird, I know).
  • I have gotten extremely creative with cooking. I'm experimenting with new vegetables, and eating lots of "non-breakfast foods" at breakfast (ex: brown rice with hummus and chick pea salad).
  • I don't miss cheese.
  • I swapped in my creamers/half & half for vanilla or hazelnut coconut milk creamer. It's delicious.
  • I feel empowered, awakened, and enlightened. I cannot believe I allowed myself to stay in the dark for so long and never questioned what I was truly putting in my body. 
  • This was not hard, at all. Not even a little bit.

So, all in all, I'm feeling amazing and I know this is a permanent lifestyle change for me. Will I never break down and have a slice of pizza? I'd be lying to us both if I said that. I'm human. But I really do not miss the foods I've eliminated. The thought of eating cheese, drinking milk, or touching a piece of meat genuinely freaks me out.

I'm happy to chat with anyone who has more questions or could use a little inspiration to get started on the same track. Again -- no judgement, but I really do want everyone to feel as good as I do!

Cheers to everyone who has supported me and shared their personal stories, tips and recipes!




No comments:

Post a Comment