Ads 468x60px

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Help! Aliens Stole My Brain and Made Me Not Want Wine!

Image via http://www.sundogco.com/green-alien-wine-holder.html

My relationship with wine dates back to 1994. I will never forget the first time I sipped on a bottle of Boone's Farm rose (from a paper bag) on the corner of St. Mark's Place in the East Village of New York City. I was 14, for the record. I guzzled a few sips, darting my eyes around to make sure there were no cops watching while I chomped on a bag of pretzel twists. I swear I wasn't a bad kid, I just enjoyed hanging out with the bad kids. Hence the reason I chose Boone's Farm vs. acid. Ahh, youth.

I really didn't get much out of those few sips and it wasn't until I was about 25 that I really started to enjoy wine. First, I started ordering the standard glass of Pinot Grigio at dinner (I mean, what else do you drink when you're 25? Red was for old ladies!) and before I knew it, I was starting to indulge in a glass or two at night at home after work. Wine became comfort to me, especially as I entered the work force and learned the true meaning of stress. It was always there, no matter how happy or sad I felt. I knew I could curl up to that glass at the end of a long day and sip myself into a blissed out state.

But it's not all about the buzz. I also really do enjoy the taste of wine. I love trying new blends and brands, and I'm always game to experiment with new pairings. But something has happened recently, and I'm really surprised. After going plant-based, my desire for wine has dramatically deteriorated. And I mean dramatically. I also feel extremely exhausted and down right gross the day after I have more than a glass or two the night before. I don't think I've ever before felt hungover after having 3 glasses of prosecco, but suddenly I'm a light weight and it's not fun.

So rather than try to build some sort of iron-like tolerance and pollute myself and my insides along the way, I'm going to roll with this. Perhaps my body is so free and clear of toxins now that I've taken dairy, meat, and all processed foods and animal products out of the equation that a glass of wine is like drinking venom? Who knows. But as always, I'm going to listen to this body of mine and take a little wine-cation. I know, I know, you're probably thinking I'm insane, or wondering if aliens somehow abducted me and gave me a lobotomy, but I am sure I will be back to my beloved grapes shortly. In the meantime, I'm curious: has anyone else who follows a plant-based diet experienced this? I'd love to hear your feedback!


No comments:

Post a Comment