Ads 468x60px

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Caramel Time!

I have a raging sweet tooth.

No joke, a sweets-deprived me isn't a happy camper. I tend to prefer satisfying my sweet tooth with chocolate, ice cream, dried fruits, fruits, baked goods, and the like. I'm really not, and never have been, hugely into hard candies.

My dad, on the other hand, can make a bag of lemon hard candies or Werther's Originals disappear in a day or two. But he completely snubs chocolate, ice cream, cookies, and most other treats.

Weird, right?

Anyway, even though I tend to go for other types of sweet treats, I do occasionally enjoy a hard candy. I'm more selective with candy, though, since I'm usually not as wild about it. While I'll eat most types of chocolate or ice cream, a candy has to be pretty tasty for me to even bother.


Like Werther's smooth, sweet caramel candies. Ever since I've been little, they've been one of my favorite non-chocolate candies. They're creamy, sweet, and melt in my mouth.



But I know several diabetics (some friends, some family, and even some bloggers). There are now diabetic-friendly chocolates and ice creams, but what about when that taste for something sweet to suck on strikes?

Werther's Original now makes Werther's Original Sugar Free Candies that provide the same rich, velvety caramel flavor and creamy mouthfeel of the classic caramel candies in a diabetic-friendly treat.



There are seven ingredients in the candies and they're sweetened with acesulfame-k. I can't give much of an opinion on that sweetener, unfortunately, as I don't know very much about it.

The sugar-free candies come in the Classic Caramel flavor, as well as three swirled flavors - Caramel Apple, Caramel Cinnamon, and Caramel Coffee.



I'd tried the regular sugar versions of the Caramel Coffee and Classic Caramel candies, but the Caramel Apple and Caramel Cinnamon flavors were both new to me and I enjoyed both. The Caramel Apple is reminiscent of fall harvest festivals and the Caramel Cinnamon is probably my new favorite.

I love cinnamon and it's delightfully cinnamon-y!

Especially if you have diabetes, I'd recommend trying the candies - you'll probably be pleasantly surprised! They're definitely way better than I thought a diabetic-friendly candy would be. And they come with Werther's Original's Taste Guarantee, so if you don't like them you can get your money back. There's nothing to lose!

Do you know anyone with diabetes?

What's your go-to sweet treat?

Do you know anything about acesulfame-k?

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective, and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment