Ads 468x60px

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Probiotic Chocolate Almonds???

We've all heard of probiotics - those good-for-you bacteria in yogurt that help with digestion and help prevent bloating and all that ickiness. But did you know you can get probiotic almonds?!

Sunbiotic Chocolate Almonds are a raw, heart-healthy snack that's loaded up with probiotics!


I don't think I've ever had raw almonds before - which is an odd concept, in general, for me. I just never think of nuts as being a cooked food!


Anyway, this is a 100% raw snack and the almonds are sprouted, instead of roasted. Then they add cacao powder, coconut sugar, and a probiotic blend as a tasty coating. There are slight variations with the other flavors (original, cheesy, and truffle).

I was curious as to how sprouting the almonds would change their flavor - surprisingly, it really did! It even changed their texture - they're softer (more buttery, if that makes sense) and the flavor is a lot milder. I liked that, because somehow making the flavor milder (there isn't any of that bitterness that you have with almonds sometimes), paired with the buttery texture, made them taste and feel all the more decadent!


The chocolate flavor isn't very prevalent though - it's more of a hint of chocolate than anything. The chocolate flavor is there, but very subtle and subdued. They're definitely primarily almonds and only secondarily (and a far-removed secondarily) chocolate.


Still, nom nom nom.

I really enjoyed (and recommend) these! My only gripe is that, as is often the case, they come with deceptive packaging. While you'd think a pouch is one serving, it's actually one and a half. I ate the whole pouch at once, of course, but I just think it's odd to make something that looks like a single serving packet and then put more than a serving in it.

Meh. Gripe.

Still, it's a fabulous snack! Especially on greek yogurt with Incan berries, as I had them!

Have you ever had raw nuts?


How do you like your nuts best - roasted, raw, candied, in nut butter...?

No comments:

Post a Comment