Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Vacation All I Ever Wanted


I'm still in recovery mode from my girl's trip to Montauk this past weekend. We had a blast and made memories -- some of which I will share in this post, some of which will be locked away forever in the backs of our minds, and in our text message logs.

We left on Friday, our hearts set on the surf and sand that awaited us at the Eastern most tip of Long Island. The LIRR became our own personal lounge as we spread out and enjoyed our 3 hour ride with hot pink cans of Champagne and girl talk.

If you've never been to Montauk, then you are truly missing out. It's a magical, sleepy beach town filled with some of the most pleasant people you'll ever encounter. Everything is in slow motion, and you can appreciate things like a beautiful sunrise or a cool breeze without choking on diesel truck fumes or listening to the brain-numbing sound of piercing ambulances that the city so generously provides.

But I digress.

As soon as we arrived, we made a bee-line for Gurney's to enjoy some lunch and cocktails on the outdoor deck that overlooks the ocean. We dined on lobster salad and soaked in the sun. We admired a table of women in their 70's, laughing and clinking glasses and toasting to themselves, and hoped that would be us someday. 

We slowed down, shut our brains off, and just lived in the moment for 3 days. You'd think an extended weekend of doing nothing wouldn't be much to ask for, but it was quite a feat to get five friends together - especially in our 30's. There are minor things like -- oh ya know, jobs, husbands and kids that take away the sense of freedom we totally took for granted ten years ago. You really learn to appreciate moments like the ones we shared this weekend when they are few and far between.

I've been out to Montauk quite a few times, and each time I have to leave I'm overwhelmed with a sense of sadness. I've been out there with my mom, my husband, and now my closest friends. Each trip was a unique experience, with different highlights for each, but one thing remains -- Montauk always feels right.

I'm usually thrilled to head back into JFK, or in this case, Penn Station, and take on the craziness of New York City after a trip. But something about being away from it all has really made me feel like I need to revamp a few things. I'm craving peace and quiet. I'm craving calm. Maybe it was the unlimited bloody mary's, or the smell of the salt water, but whatever has happened to me, I'm just not into city life...and I don't know if I ever will be again.


No comments:

Post a Comment