Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Foodcation: Vicarious Travel

We're still knee deep in the semester and, for most of us, spring break is (sadly) just a fond memory.

So taking a trip is probably not on the agenda for most of us right now. It sure isn't for me. But that doesn't mean that you can't take a one or two hour mini trip, through a fun new food!

Quick: pick a map, close your eyes, stab it with your finger. Where did you land? Go on a food journey there!

I'm taking my mini foodcation to Las Vegas! I've never been and it doesn't have super much appeal for me (I'm not into the whole gambling, nightlife, showgirls thing) but I've heard that they have some pretty killer food. You know, with all the celebrity chef restaurants in Vegas.

It turns out that a lot of them have gone pretty health-conscious, too! For example, Carnevino's Italian Steakhouse has a pretty cool sounding side dish menu - it's tough to focus on the entrees when they have such an extensive side dish menu. There's everything from Cesare's Tuscan Fries to Cauliflower Gratin.

But what I decided to take on as my foodspiration for my mini foodcation was roasted root veggies!

A lot of bloggers (and foodies, in general) rave about their love for root veggies like turnips and parsnips and sweet potatoes. While I love a good potato or (even better, in my opinion) sweet potato, I haven't really had much experience with parsnips. I decided to change that!

To tell the truth, I wasn't even sure exactly what a raw parsnip looked like.


It's like a pale carrot!

I didn't do anything super fancy, like Chef Carnevino probably does, but just wasted it, peeled it...



chopped it up...



And sprinkled it with spices (I used salt, paprika, curry, and black pepper) and vegetable oil.



Then I roasted it for about 20 minutes at 350F.


So crunchy, so crispy, so yummy! I don't know how to describe the taste well - it's different than roasted carrots (and roasts drier than carrots do, more like potatoes) and milder. 

YUM YUM YUM with stoneground mustard and plenty of ketchup.

Also great with a black bean burger, baby pickles, and some salad! This sounds weird, but use ranch and ketchup as the dip for this salad (or dressing, if you prefer the drizzling to the dunking method). 


Don't knock it until you try it!

Where did/will your foodcation take you?

What's a new-to-you thing that you've tried recently?

Have you ever been to Las Vegas? Do you want to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment