Ads 468x60px

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Beckmann's Bakery - a German Bakery in Georgia!

As a half-German American who has experienced good German bread, I can be pretty tough to please when it comes to bread.

The preservative-laden, plastic-tasting bread that's standard in the supermarkets and dissolves into nothingness in your mouth just doesn't satisfy me. Whenever I visit my family in Germany, I always go hog-wild over the bread. And whenever I come back the USA, I wonder why someone doesn't open a German bakery here.

Well, apparently someone has! You just have to look hard enough. My mom (the German) and I were both stoked to discover Beckmann's Bakery, an 'Old World Bakery' based in Santa Cruz California with an online store that delivers across the USA. Sure, they might be the first place National Pie Championship winners, but my mom and I weren't interested in their pies, cookies, granola, and sweet breads (as yummy as all of those looked). We were women with a mission - German bread!


The Beckmann's Bakery bread assortment is quite something, featuring everything from honey wheat to pure rye, but my mom and I were ought to find The Real Deal. Their German Farm Bread, the one in the round form, delivered


My mom was so excited, since she grew up in Germany and really missed the bread, because she said that she literally couldn't taste a difference from the Roggenmischbrot that she grew up on. Neither could I!

The taste is perfect, hearty and delicious, and the crust is thick and crunchy with soft insides that hold up to spreads.


I like how they dusted the top with flour, for extra visual appeal.


If you're looking for a good loaf of real German bread in the USA, whether you've moved from Germany, you studied abroad in Germany, or you just have great taste in bread, look no farther!

Ooh, my breakfasts are happy now :)

Beckmann's Bakery also makes a pretty tasty honey whole wheat bread, but it's not German bread - it's more like a high-quality loaf of American bread, but still comparable to what you can find in the grocery store.


This kind of bread would work well for grilled cheese, though, as it's really soft.

Their rye bread, on the other hand, is another loaf of dense, delicious German bread goodness.


Do you see the crumb?


It's perfect with some butter and jam.


Yum, yum, yum!

If you need something to top your yummy bread with, enter my organic cheese giveaway :)

Oh, and Choc Chip Uru gave me 2 lovely awards this week! So I have to pass them on, of course!


For the Thinking Of You Award, here are the rules:
  1. Thank and link back to the sender
  2. Tell seven things that I love and that I think about daily
  3. Pass the award to seven other blogs
And for the Super Sweet Blogging Award:
  1. Thank the super sweet blogger that nominated you
  2. Nominate a baker’s dozen of bloggers (that’s 13)
  3. Answer 5 super sweet questions
These super sweet questions are:
  1. Cookies or Cake? Cookies! I love cookies, especially ones with chocolate (and preferably nuts in there, too).
  2. Chocolate or Vanilla? CHOCOLATE. How is this even a question?
  3. What is your favourite sweet treat? Do I really have to choose one? I'm going to cheat and say that ice cream, chocolate, froyo, and cookies are THE BOMB. And do bars count?
  4. When do you crave sweet things the most? When do I not?
  5. If you have a sweet nickname, what would it be? I have no idea. I've never had a nickname! Maybe the ice cream monster, since I eat it daily? Then again, that would make the chocolate monster, too...
And seven things that I love and think about daily are:

1) My family (not a thing, though)
2) Books (not the intelligent kind, I mean novels)
3) Travel
4) Acting/Movies
5) Fashion
6) Food (especially the sweet and/or carby kind)
7) Christmas (I've been thinking about it daily since late September, don't judge!)
Since there are two awards, I'm going to take Choc Chip Uru's lead and pass them on to seven (lucky number!) bloggers who deserve both!

Have a happy Thursday, everyone! The weekend is almost here!
Have you been to Germany?

What's your favorite kind of bread?

What's your go-to breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment