Ads 468x60px

Thursday, October 18, 2012

"Workout & Wine" at Uplift Studios!


 Ever have those moments where you're like, "I wish I would have thought of that!" Well that's exactly what came to mind when Leanne Shear first reached out to me last year. She discovered my blog online and the words "Champagne Diet" spoke to her, much like to the words "Workout and Wine" speak to me (can you blame me?). Leanne was intrigued by my blog and invited me to one of her Workout and Wine sessions, which used to take place in the park before she opened Uplift Studios with partners Helena and Katie in April of this year. Though I never made it to the actual class, Leanne and I met up for bubbly one cold winter night and immediately fell in friend-love. Talk about an awesome, down-to-earth, ass-kicking chick!

We always knew we wanted to team up and do an event together, so when Sparkle came out, Leanne and I immediately connected and she and the girls invited me to do a reading and signing after one of her signature Workout and Wine classes at Uplift. As soon as I arrived, I knew exactly why everyone had been buzzing about this place. Not only is it smack dab in the middle of the Flat Iron district on 23rd street (hello? no excuses ladies!), it's gorgeous! Like spotlessly clean, adorably trendy gorgeous. "You are beautiful" is written in marker across the mirrors in the bathroom (come on, how cute is that?), the music is pumpin' and the drinks are flowing. Along with the wine, a spread of healthy snacks like hummus, chick pea salad, veggies and cheese await you after your total body class - which by the way is super intimate and not over crowded at all. Huge plus in my book.



I had the opportunity to meet a group of fabulous women who took part in last night's event, and much like Leanne, Helena and Katie, these ladies rocked. After they worked out, everyone grabbed their snacks and wine (they even had bubbly for us!) and sat around in a circle. I chatted about what inspired The Champagne Diet, and what led me to write Sparkle. I had such a wonderful time connecting with these women, laughing over our stories, and signing their books. 

The environment at Uplift is so friendly and welcoming, something you don't see very often at gyms - especially (sadly) gyms run by women. And come on, a glass of wine WAITING for you after you sweat your ass off, AT your gym? It's perfection. If you're in the New York City area, promise yourself you will try a class (and email me, I'll join you!)

Thanks for having me, ladies. I can't wait to come back!

Cheers,
Cara


No comments:

Post a Comment