Ads 468x60px

Monday, September 10, 2012

So Delicious Vegan Coconut Ice Cream Review

As anyone who's ever observed my eating patterns would know (not that people normally do that - I think - as that would be kind of odd) I put the 'lacto' in lacto-ovo vegetarian. I have a noted fondness for my dairy products and eat plenty of them all the time.

Particularly in the form of yogurt and ice cream.

However, as So Delicious executed vegan greek yogurt so well, I thought that if anyone could convince me of the appeal of vegan ice cream, it would be So Delicious.


I picked up three flavors - their Cherry Amaretto, Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl, and No Sugar Added Toasted Almond Chip (sweetened with Rebia, Erythritol, and Monk Fruit Extract).


I cracked them open for a late night movie-watching snack.

Here's a close up of each flavor. First, the Cherry Amaretto:


I tend not to go for fruity flavors and I was a little unsure of how good this could possibly taste. An 'ice cream' made with no dairy cream (there's coconut cream) and pairing cherry and coconut flavors? Hmm...



Only it's delicious and was my second favorite of the flavors! The coconut makes it creamy and rich, but doesn't actually come across in this flavor at all in terms of flavor. I just tasted delightfully cherry flavor and I loved the big chunks of cherries, which are generously distributed through the ice cream. Yes, please!

Next up, the Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl:


This was my least favorite, but only because the other two were that amazing. It still had plenty of peanut butter in there and I'm glad they included chocolate chips. You also can't taste the coconut in this, so there's no weird competing flavor situation, and the chocolate flavor is really rich. The ice cream is creamy and delightfully satisfying.

But I'm not much of a chocolate ice cream base person (I prefer chocolate in a vanilla-type base), so this just couldn't stand up to my favorite...

the toasted almond chip:


There's no strange no-sugar-added after taste, perhaps because they used a good blend of sweeteners, and it's loaded with chocolate chips and little pieces of almonds (which, in my opinion, could have been bigger, but still did the trick). You do taste the coconut in this one and it works very, very well. 

In much the same way that Girl Scout Samoas work very well. :)


I paired a scoop of the toasted almond chip and a scoop of the cherry amaretto with golden flax seeds for extra crunch - YUM!

I also tried one of their almond milk ice creams, in my favorite flavor - cookies 'n cream.


It wasn't as creamy as the coconut milk varieties, but it was every bit as delicious!


I really liked the big chunks of oreos (or a similar cookie) in it, as I love my ice cream with loads of different textures and mix-ins!


YUM.

Speaking of vegan yummies, today is your last chance to enter my So Yummi vegan pudding giveaway! Good luck!

What's one 'odd thing' that you like pairing with ice cream?

Do you like chocolate-base, vanilla-base, or fruity-base ice cream best? 

What's one thing you're looking forward to this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment