Ads 468x60px

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sipping Sweet!

I love winter break - there's so much free time!

Free time to blog twice in a day, to get all caught up in the Christmas spirit, and to create yummy winter beverage recipes!

Let's face it - the old Swiss Miss is a little passé

It's good for now and then (like hotel continental breakfasts and when you're in a real rush) but it's not very exciting and not really diabetic friendly. As some of my longer-time readers may know, I have a diabetic relative. She loves chocolate as much as the rest of us and, when the holiday season rolls around, deserves a steaming cup of sweet hot cocoa just as much as anyone else.

So, even though I prefer natural sweeteners (sugar, honey, etc.) for my usual sweetening needs/wants, I was excited when I heard about the DailyBuzz Food Tastemaker program with Sweet'N Low.


I couldn't wait to get into the kitchen and create an original diabetic-friendly mug of hot cocoa that she'd love and wouldn't play havoc with her insulin schedule!


I got 10 Sweet'N Low packets, a few recipe card suggestions, a cocktail shaker and a striped straw to use. Then it was off to the kitchen to scour my (mom's) shelves and fridge for inspiration!

Because their recipes sounded interesting and all, but the ones I got weren't for hot cocoa. And there is a hot cocoa recipe on Sweet'N Low's Facebook page but I was feeling creative.

And I had to break in my new apron.


The things you find in Aldi's bargain bin...

Anywho, it's recipe time! And this hot cocoa is as easy as 1-2-3!

Also, it's not completely sugar-free (so you may need to adjust your insulin accordingly, if you're diabetic) but it's lower in sugar (and fat, for the waistline watchers) than the traditional cup of cocoa.


Auntie's Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Serves 1


* 1 cup milk (I used regular milk, but soy milk or 1/4c. vegan creamer and 3/4c. almond milk could work for a vegan version)
* 1 Tbsp. Baking Cacao Powder (I used Hershey's)
* 1/2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil (Or you can use semisweet chocolate chips instead of cacao powder and coconut oil)
* 1/2 tsp. Peppermint Extract
* 1 packet Sweet'N Low
* pinch of salt
* optional: marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, crushed candy cane for topping



1) Heat milk in a saucepan, do NOT bring to a boil.



2) Stir in the Chocolate & Coconut Oil, Peppermint Extract, Salt, and Sweet'N Low.



3) Keep stirring until well combined and heated through.



4) Pour into a mug, top with optional toppings, and enjoy!



I've even tried the recipe with CalNaturale French Vanilla Svelte Protein Shake (vegan) as the milk base and it was pretty tasty - plus, a great high protein drink!

See? Free time can be delightfully productive. Unlike chain mail (which, sadly, seems to be super prevalent during school breaks).






Just say no, guys. Make a cup of spiced hot cocoa instead :)

What's your favorite hot drink?

What's the most recent recipe you've created?

Do you actually LIKE chain mail? I kind of think no one does, but then I wonder why it persists. I'd love to be proven wrong, especially if you tell me why you like chain mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment